Friday, August 06, 2010

Postcard from Mt. Rainier

As I continue the massive makeover of my Web site, I just completed revising the section from Mt. Rainier National Park…I posted it yesterday.  In reviewing past editions of this blog, I realized I never showed you this image…and it is one of my favorites from the park.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is Christine Falls, which is a simple short hike off of the main highway. When the light is right, you get this golden glow off of the rocks at the bottom of the falls. The same can be found at nearby Narada Falls.

I used a slow shutter speed to achieve the white flowing artistic glow of the falls. But, because of that, the leaves in the foreground show movement as it was windy that day. But, frankly, I like that effect in this image. I mean, leaves do move when it is windy and it adds to the motion of the water. It is a more realistic effect.

The photographs in the revised Mt. Rainier section of my Web site were shot nearly five years ago on a three day photographic expedition. It was my first outing with my then brand new first digital camera. I learned a lot on that trip about the differences between digital and film. But, would you believe that in the 15 years I lived in Washington State, it was my one and only trip to this beautiful National Park?

I wish I could have gone more, especially with my newer Nikon camera. Maybe someday. I invite you to look at more Mt. Rainier National Park photos on my Web site.

No comments: