Monday, August 09, 2010

Postcard from Kodachrome Basin

This weekend, I finished up a new section of my Web site…photos from Kodachrome Basin in Utah. Last November, I wrote about my visit to this unusual park, just west of Bryce Canyon National Park.kodachrome-7

Here is one picture that did not get into that blog…one of several pictures of the unusual rock formations you find throughout its landscape. Kodachrome Basin contains many multi-colored rock formations of red, yellow, pink, white and brown, as well as massive sandstone chimney spires, called “Salt Pipes” or chimneys.

As I said a year ago, geologists believe Kodachrome Basin was once similar to Yellowstone National Park with hot springs and geysers, which eventually filled up with sediment and solidified. The name comes from the original name given to it by National Geographic photographers who came through there in 1948.

I promised in my original blog I would tell you when all the good pictures from the park would be posted to my Web site…and I finally have completed the task. Please have a look if you have some free time.

No comments: