Monday, August 30, 2010

Postcard from Bisbee

I am back from an extended weekend visit with my son Eric and his wife in Yuma. Didn’t take any pictures there, although I wish I could have photographed the incredible monsoon I drove through on Friday morning. It took me 20 minutes at 70 MPH to get through a blinding rain storm complete with lightning and thunder. Many of the lightning strikes werebisbee_table close-by…straight down into the desert…one was perhaps 500 feet from my car. No photographs though as I was too busy trying to keep the van on the straight and narrow.

Moving on to today’s photo, this is one of my artistic endeavors from Bisbee, AZ, one of my new favorite places in all the Southwest. It is a digital version of a Polaroid Transfer technique, an imaging tool used by some artists and photographers because of its unique rendering qualities. As I’ve written here before, one never knows what one will get using this technique. I simulate it here with a digital filter inside of Photoshop.

It is a simple composition, showing only a table, chairs and a plant. Sometimes the simple things make the best photos. I think that this can best be described as an atmospheric picture. I found this tiny area outside between two buildings, both hotels as I remember it. There are a couple more tables off to the right. It is used by hotel guests for relaxing with their morning coffees. A very relaxing atmosphere…and a nice place for a simple picture.

No comments: