Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Postcard from Rome

Longtime readers know I have a special love for sketches and engravings. One of my favorite places in my recent visit to the Chicago Institute of Art was the gallery where sketches are displayed. Went through that gallery three or four times. Marcus Aurelius

On my last trip to Rome, I took a photograph of a statue of the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius. He ruled Rome from 161 till 180 AD and is known as the last of the “Five Good Emperors.” The original of this statue went on display in Rome is 176 AD (this one is a copy). Being a devotee of Roman history, I wanted to do something special with the original photo. For many reasons, I decided to do a sketch.

Easier said than done. I worked and worked on a possible sketch off and on for a few years, none of which made me happy. I tried all kinds of different techniques…but they just didn’t measure up.

Lately I’ve undertaken the task to finish a number of unfinished art projects, including the Marcus Aurelius sketch, with new tools that have been made available to me.  I have been quite successful at this task…and you will see some other results in future blogs.

But, for today, I hope you will enjoy my finally-completed sketch of this famous Roman Emperor. I went through many many steps and variations to come up with this one, and after looking at it off an on for a few days, this is my final version.

Incidentally, I also did an engraving of the original photograph which I am still completing the final touches. You may see that one in the future also. But for now, enjoy this sketch which took many years to complete. Ah, the trials and tribulations of the artist.

No comments: