Monday, June 14, 2010

Postcard from Chicago – A Sketch

I mentioned in a recent blog how much I love sketches and engravings. The majority of my favorites are those done in black and white media.watercolor chicago skyline

The other day, I was playing with some new software specifically designed for sketching and observed that I could do watercolor sketches (digital, of course). I had never done anything in this media so I decided to explore the possibilities.  After a couple of attempts, I sketched this image of the Chicago skyline.

I was surprised by the results. As usual, I decided to let it sit for a few days to see if I still liked it later.  Well, I do. I emphasize that it is a sketch, not one of my more in-depth paintings.

As I also mentioned here before, I spent a lot of time in the Sketch Gallery at the Chicago Institute of Art. It was interesting to see the number of different kinds of sketches on display, including watercolors. In fact, there were several preliminary sketches of famous paintings that are hung elsewhere in the painting galleries.

I admit it was fun to try something different and even more fun to be pleasantly surprised at the results.

No comments: