Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Postcard from Bryce

Thor’s Hammer is a famous landmark in Bryce Canyon National Park. It has probably been photographed a billion times…if not more. If you have been to Bryce, I bet you even photographed it yourself.bryce-5bw

On this lovely early morning in September of last year, the light hitting the rock was spectacular. Thor’s Hammer had a magic glow to it, not from the sun which would be on the left…but rather from the reflection of light bouncing off red rocks to the right of this photo.

Now, the problem for me with the original photo is all the rocks in the picture are red.  Everything’s red. So I decided to play with it using black and white filters to see if I could make the glow of Thor’s Hammer be a color unto itself and separate it from the rocks in the background.  I played and played with several different filters in my arsenal to come up with the final image. It was fun doing and I am not sure I could do it again as I didn’t record my steps.

But I think I achieved what I set out to do…make Thor’s Hammer really stand out. It almost looks like I used a flash, but trust me, I didn’t. I hope you enjoy it also.

No comments: