Monday, June 28, 2010

Postcard from Chicago

This rather tall building, photographed at a bit of an angle, is the Sears Tower in downtown Chicago…although it is more properly known today as Willis Tower.  However, most Chicagoans still refer to it as the Sears Tower.  And why not…it has been that name for many years.chicago sears tower

Sear’s license for the name actually expired in 2003, but the naming rights were sold in 2009 to London-based insurance broker Willis Group Holdings, Ltd…hence the new name. 

At the time of its completion in 1974, it was the tallest building in the world, surpassing the World Trade Center towers in New York. Currently, Willis Tower is the tallest building in the United States and the fifth-tallest freestanding structure in the world.

I photographed this black building on a gray day, hence, the original image has no color. So I just changed it officially to black and white. I shot it at an angle as I am wont to do when the occasion calls for it, just to be doing something different, and because I like the results.  Also, most skyscrapers are photographed vertically, and by shooting at an angle, I can do it horizontally. I darkened the lower portion of the building on purpose. I do like way this image turned out.

No comments: