Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Picture of the Day - Venetian Tower Las Vegas

It was the Monday before Thanksgiving and we had driven most of the day from Yuma to Las Vegas. It was a planned one-night stay as we were headed the next morning for Zion National Park. We booked a very nice room in advance at the Flamingo Hotel, right in the center of the Las Vegas strip.

As it was getting toward dusk after we checked in...and since we are not gamblers, we decided to walk around a bit as see Vegas as I had not been there in a few years. Several of the hotels we saw had been built since my last visit. I grabbed my Nikon D200 camera to see what I could shoot at night. I took no flash and no tripod, so I was tempting fate to see how far I could push the VR lens (anti-shake) just by hand-holding it.

It turns out the Nikon did a great job...admittedly some pictures did not turn out, but many did and I will show more of my night shots of Vegas in the future. This is the replica of the tower that sits in St. Mark's Square in the real Venice and marks the entrance to the Venetian Hotel. It was interesting to see the inside of the Venetian with its gondolas and simulated canals of Venice, but I still prefer the real one. Interestingly, there is a Guggenheim Museum both in the real Venice and at this hotel. At this one, we were able to see a fabulous exhibition of early modern paintings.

Oh, by the way, I did place a bet on the Monday Night Football game and won $10. Don't tell the IRS.

No comments: