Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Picture of the Day - Rocks

About 90 miles north of Yuma, at the intersection of Interstate 10 and US 95, is a small town in the middle of nowhere called Quartzite. We were on our way from Yuma to Las Vegas and stopped here to take a break and get a cold drink.

Across the street from the fast food joint was a large outdoor rock and gem store. I grabbed my camera and headed over to see what might be there. Well, there was a lot to photograph. One of the old timers who looked like prototype desert rat saw me and my camera and came over to talk. He took me on a tour of the joint, including some areas not open to the public. He showed me the best rocks and semi-precious gems in the place, including a large selection of petrified rocks . I took lots of photos, but, for some reason, this one is one of my favorites.

I went back there in January of 2008 and took even more pictures, most of which I haven't had a chance to work on. On that trip, I explored Quartzite even more and someday soon will write about this quirky little town which can only be labeled as fun, but definitely way out of the norm.

No comments: