Thursday, May 08, 2008

Picture of the Day - Sunset at Cannon Beach

The city of Cannon Beach is one of my most favorites on the Oregon Coast. It is a bit touristy, I admit, but it is still fun to wander around this lovely city. Just north of Cannon Beach is Ecola State Park, an Oregon State Park that offers both beach front and rain forest scenery. Well worth a visit.

In June 2007, Susan and I were attending her family reunion at a beachfront home in nearby Seaside. Near dusk, we got into our car and headed for Ecola Park to see the sunset. This picture is one that I captured that evening. By this time, the sun had gone below the horizon and the sky and clouds were lit pink for just a few precious moments before night actually fell.

The scene is looking southward toward Cannon Beach. You can see the famous "Haystack Rock" off in the distance. I used my current backup camera, the Olympus E-300 DSLR on a tripod. I admit to a few enhancements here, mainly a vignette effect, but the sky is pretty much as we saw it that night.

I love the trees in the foreground as it gives the picture a greater depth. For the most part, good scenic shots should contain a foreground, a middle ground, and a background, so that the eye can move gently through the scene. As you look at my images in this blog, you will see this theme repeated throughout. It is, in a way, the photographer telling you a story.

No comments: