Friday, May 16, 2008

Picture of the Day - Desert Victim

This is definitely not the most picturesque photo of the Sedona, AZ area, but I like it. I had been out shooting for two days in and around Sedona. After a while, all the red rock formations begin to look alike and I started "looking down" as I invariably do. At this point I was looking to photograph some interesting-looking cactus plants or old tree trunk with a red rock formation in the background.

While walking around, I came upon this deer skeleton and decided to include him and some nearby cactus in the foreground. It may not rank high on my list of pictures, but you must admit it has some artistic value.

Sedona is such an interesting place and I enjoyed seeing it for the first time last November. People of the "New Age" consider it a Vortex...meaning energy from the universe is being focused in this one place. That's why when you drive around town, you see a plethora of stores offering various New Age products and services. Even some hotels and spas offer a "New Age Experience." New Age or not, Sedona is very commercialized, to say the least...kind of like our Leavenworth.

My impressions of the area is this is what Yosemite, or Zion, or other National Parks would look like if they weren't protected by the National Park Service. Most of the roads I explored to get into the back country all dead-ended at some hotel or spa. There are some dirt roads here and there, which are nice, but there is a great deal of private property that you are prohibited from entering. Still worth seeing for its "Red Rock Beauty."

No comments: