Sunday, May 25, 2008

Picture of the Day - Sunset at Spanish Rock

I was traveling down the Oregon Coast a couple of years ago, on my way to California to do two art shows. I chose a more leisurely route as I had my new digital Olympus DSLR camera that I wanted to put to good use. Switching from film to digital is quite a transition, so I wanted to give the camera a good workout in some scenic locations and learn all about its nuances.

Spanish Rock is just south of Lincoln City, OR. After arriving in town, I did some scouting to find a good location for the sunset. Spanish Rock was by far the best location, so I had only to hope that the weather and the tide would cooperate.

I checked into my hotel, and an hour or so before dusk, found a nice Chinese restaurant to have dinner and wait for that special witching hour. After dinner, I headed down to my predetermined location, set up my tripod, then shot about 40-50 exposures of the sunset and post-sunset sky. I experimented with different settings during all this and only went back to my room after all the color had left the sky.

I got lucky that night with tides and weather. This was my favorite shot as I caught the sun just dipping into the water, some great colors in the sky, yet still managed to capture some detail in the rock. It was shot in RAW mode, then post-processed in Photoshop. Because of the huge range from light to shadow, I could not have captured all the detail in this picture had it been shot in JPG, as is done by most digital cameras.

Good Chinese food and a great ocean sunset...what else could you want out of life?

No comments: