Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Postcard from Tucson – Stranger in a Strange Land




In 1992, when I moved out of California to Ephrata, WA, it was a little different, but not all that much, at least until winter hit. But, now I’ve moved from Ephrata to Tucson Arizona…and the difference between Ephrata and here is huge.

Of course, the first is obvious….winter. If I were still in Ephrata, I would be shoveling snow, worrying about the pipes freezing, and generally wearing long pants and sweaters, even in the house.

Here, I write these words in shorts and a tee shirt. Its been in the low 70’s all day. Cools off at night, but not like the Northwest. I can sit out by the pool here and read a book and get a nice tan. It’s January, for God’s sake! And while all this seems strange, I am having a little trouble getting used to other things.

Zip Code:

I have spent all of my life having a zip code that started with 9. Now it starts with 8. I still sometimes start writing my zip code with a 9. Hard to get used to it. Of course, I am old enough to remember the time when there were no zip codes.

Time Zone:

Now this is a tough one. Right now I am in the Mountain Time Zone…two hours earlier than eastern time. So when a football game says it starts at 1:00 Eastern, I have to remember that’s 11:00 here, not 10:00 like it has been all my life. I am really having some problems with that one. But, I am slowly getting used to it. But of course, I am an hour ahead of all my friends on the West Coast.

More Time Zone:

Now, just when I get used to that, suddenly in March, I will be in Pacific Time. What? You see, Arizona doesn’t observe Daylight Savings. So, football games in August through the first of November, will start at 10:00…then in November start at 11:00. This is getting weird!

Architecture:

The Southwestern Adobe look is everywhere here…probably because I am here in the Southwest. I like it, in fact I live in one. It’s just different than I am used to.

Cactus Everywhere:

Not just the little cactus that people have in their homes in pots, but giant Saguaro cactus of all shapes and sizes that tower way over you. They abound everywhere here. I like them actually…again, just not used to seeing them everywhere. They can grow to a height of 50 feet and if you see one with 5 arms or more, it’s over 200 years old.

Elevation

The city sits at 2,400 feet above sea level. My son lives in Yuma, about 225 miles to the west at an elevation of 138 feet. When I travel from Yuma to Tucson, I have no idea how I gain 2200 feet in elevation. It is all basically flat!! I don’t think the elevation is bothering me, but I will never know because I huff and puff a lot more than I used to anyway.

The Big City:

I moved from a town of 7,000 and a county with 70,000 people. I now live in Pima County with a population of over 1 million. That’s a big jump. There is traffic, although it moves pretty well as Tucson has the best traffic light system I have ever seen. Fortunately, before Ephrata I lived in large cities for most of my life. So, the adjustment is not as bad as it could be. But still…

Culture Everywhere:

Now, I admit I am not having any problems here…Tucson is full of culture and things to do. Saturday, I spent time in three art galleries enjoying the art works. I have already been to one classical music concert and am going to another one Sunday prior to the Super Bowl. Of course this is a University city, so there is plenty happening here. Tuesday I am going to an astronomy lecture for the public. Wonderful. It’s just hard to get used to after coming from a culturally-starved place like Central Washington. And it is hard to keep up with all that’s going on (poor, poor Jim).

All this feels strange, but I am slowly getting used to this whole new lifestyle...and I like it. So far so good. But, you know that when spring approaches, I will get the wandering itch.

As for the photos here, none of which are very good, the first shows part of Tucson looking from west to east. It was taken very near where I live and is the view I have when going into town. All the buildings you see in the background belong to the University of Arizona. You can even see the football stadium on the far right of the campus. The mountains in the background are the Rincon Mountains.

The second photo is to the left of the first photo, but taken from the same spot. It shows the Santa Catalina Mountains. The area below it with all the homes is called, The Foothills. Tucson is surrounded by five mountain ranges and spreads out in all directions for miles and miles and miles.

The third photo shows the courtyard in my apartment building. Notice the Southwest style, even in apartments. You won’t find this kind of architecture in Central Washington.

Anyway, all this is taking some getting used to…but I must say I like it a great deal.

No comments: