Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Picture of the Day…The Little Painted Desert


Sorry I have not done more writing about some of my road experiences lately, but have been doing a writing job for a new client which has gobbled up much of my time. But, a least I still show you some interesting pictures from my journey.

Anyhow, this photo is of the Little Painted Desert (yes that is the name). It is a small county park about 15 miles north of Winslow, Arizona. It is called little not because of its size, but to differentiate it from the Painted Desert National Park, several more miles to the east. It is quite lovely, especially when seen towards sunset which of course is when I was there photographing.

I will admit to some enhancements here to make the colors pop, and on a good day with a good sunset, this image would be really close. The one sunset when I was there was not particularly good, light-wise. So I made it a little better…but I admit it freely. But, good or bad light, you should make an effort to go off the main highway and head up to see this park if you are ever in the vicinity. The colors are quite wonderful…as are the colors of the other national park of the same name.

If you go back many blogs to October 2008, you will see a strong resemblance of this desert to the Painted Hills of Oregon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Tell us more about the new job...enquiring minds want to know ...