Saturday, January 24, 2009

Photo of the Day - Two Views of Landscape Arch



As you can see, I have been busy with my photo toys…working away on more of my images from the past few month. It is so nice to have my desktop computer back with a big screen.

Anyway this is Landscape Arch in the Arches National Park. It is about a mile walk from the Devil’s Garden. I believe it is the largest arch in the park. In a blog I wrote a while ago called “Falling Arches,” I talked about how part of this arch fell back in 1991. In the color photo, the rocks you see on the right side of the photo are remnants of that day.

In re-examining all my photos of Landscape Arch, I realized that many of them don’t show the arch very well as the rocks behind the arch blend in so well. They don’t when you are there, but in a 2-dimensional photograph they do.

The best photos are the ones where you move along the trail to the farthest point towards the right of the arch. Then, the sky becomes more of an element and sets Landscape Arch apart from its background.

I wanted to do a black and white photo of it and I chose the one I did based on the wonderful cloud formation. I had to really work in Lightroom and Photoshop to make it stand out as the sun was so bright and behind the arch. I do like the way it turned out.

But after completing it, I decided I wanted a good color photo of the arch, so I chose the one you see here, again showing a fair amount of sky between the arch and its background.

I like the rock in the foreground as it mimics (sort of) the shape of the arch…and there are some other nice elements in the photo. There is also some enhancement done with the Tiffen Filter set to make the rocks pop a bit.

It is usually a tough decision whether to do an image in black and white or color. If the photo has uninteresting colors and contrast, then the decision is easy. But, something like Landscape Arch has beautiful colors, so the decision is much harder.

So, tell me, which do you prefer?

No comments: