Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Picture of the Day – The Virgin River

This is an image I took a little over a year ago in Zion National Park. I like it as it is a cornucopia of colors, including red rock, autumn leaves, and a beautiful sky.

By the way, when you see a dark blue sky like this one, it usually means that I used a polarizing filter on the camera. Unlike film cameras, where I had lots of filters…for my digital cameras, I use only two filters: a UV filter, basically to protect the lens if I fall or drop the camera or even worse; and a polarizing filter to enhance colors like the sky and red rocks…AND, to reduce glare on reflections like water or autumn leaves.

A quality rotating polarizing filter should be in every camera bag, especially if you use a single lens reflex camera. If you have never used one, the only work at their best when you are at right angles to the sun…meaning the sun is at your shoulder. If the sun is behind you, a polarizer will have little, if any, effect.

The filter is basically two layers with a rotatable top layer. By rotating the top, you can change the amount from full polarization to no polarization and everything in between. Don’t leave home without it!

No comments: