Monday, July 25, 2011

Postcard from Sedona

 

This is Sedona’s most celebrated natural landmark…Cathedral Rock. I photographed it in December at sunset. Each of the three parts of the rock are called “saddles.”

Sedona is surrounded by red-rock monoliths named Coffeepot, Cathedral and Thunder Mountain. It is a popular tourist destination in Arizona. It is also considered a powerful place to receive energies from the universe to those who follow New-Age beliefs. Legends have it that the lands and rocks around Sedona contain “Vortexes” where visitors can receive large doses of pure cosmic energy. Here is a quote from one such believer about Cathedral Rock:

“With or without the legends, Cathedral is indeed a sacred spot. The vortex is a conical pile of black lava rocks just below the western ledge of the saddle. You can follow a very narrow trail there and climb carefully up the rocks. I felt quite happily dizzy when I attempted this. Go slow. If you are sensitive to energy you may feel as if you are entering a strong current at this point.”

I do not condone or condemn any religious beliefs here…I am just reporting the simple facts about the Sedona area. When you visit Sedona, you will see many shops and tourist attractions that promote New Age culture…as well as more standard religions.

Me, I just go there to photograph some of the most beautiful country in all of Arizona. That is my religion.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: