Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Postcard from Oakland–Orchids

My brother Dave grow orchids as a hobby…has for years. So whenever I visit him in Oakland, I drop into his greenhouse to see what is in bloom. On this last visit in May, I remembered to bring the camera along.

The orchids you see here are named “Stanhopea.” At first glance they looked like a bunch of tiny fried eggs hanging on wires. But a closer look revealed there is a subtle shade of purple in the petals. Brought out into the light, the purple became more intense, as did the yellow centers. No doubt this is beautiful plant and not something you see growing in people’s yards. And their rarity is part of their charm.

I love photographing flowers, as you might have figured out by now. The colors and variety, as well as their shapes and form make them attractive and intriguing subjects. The key, of course is to get as close as possible to bring out their details and subtleness. 

There were other orchids in bloom that day in my brother’s greenhouse…and over time I will show you more.

No comments: