Monday, July 04, 2011

Postcard from Eugene–Fireworks

 

Happy 4th of July from hot and muggy Tucson. Looks like we have entered our Monsoon Season…a little early this year.  It’s the time of year when we have lots of thunder and lightning, not to mention heavy downpours of rain and occasionally high winds. We had it again last night, with some lightning strikes very, very, very close. Forecast says thunderstorms every day for the next 10 days.  Oh well, its just part of our ever changing world.

Anyway, I shot the above photo on the 4th of July, exactly 6 years ago today in Eugene, OR. I was doing an art show there and their annual fireworks show was held in the same park as the art show. I got to try out my new Nikon on the fireworks show. It was the first time I had ever tried to shoot fireworks…but I did get some good shots (and a few turkeys).

If you would like to try your hand at it, here is a great tutorial from the Digital Photography School Web site. Be bold, be daring…give it a try. Oh, and by the way, if you ever want to photograph lightning, the techniques are pretty much the same. Will be giving that a shot sometime this summer.

But, regardless whether you take your camera or not tonight, do have a happy and safe 4th of July.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: