Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Postcard from Oak Park - Autumn

 

Frank Lloyd Wright lived just down the street from this lovely home. If you remember a previous blog, Oak Park is a suburb of Chicago. Mr. Wright, America’s most celebrated architect, built his home and studio here and also designed several of the homes and buildings in this city. But, my best guess is that this is not one of them. It is just a lovely older home in a beautiful neighborhood that happened to have a stunning tree in the front yard.

My friend Susan and I had taken a Green Line train east to Oak Park one lovely afternoon in October. From the station, we hopped a local bus down to the street where Mr. Wright lived. After visiting his former home and studio, we decided to walk back to the train station rather than take another bus…and we chose a quiet residential street. I am so glad we did. This street was filled with beautiful homes, many of them obviously designed by Mr. Wright. You do not have to be an architectural expert to spot one of his designs. His “Prairie School” style of architecture becomes easy to spot, once you know what to look for. Which is why I guessed this home was not one of his designs.

But there were plenty of his homes on this street, but none had a stunning tree in front of them displaying such wonderful autumn colors. October is a beautiful time of year in the Chicago area. In fact, the weekend after venturing into Oak Park, I was in my usual shorts and t-shirt.

Oak Park is such a nice city to visit, even without it’s notoriety. Highly recommended for a visit.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: