Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Postcard from Oxford–Broad Street

Broad Street is arguably Oxford, England’s most important street. Walking down it’s broad expanse (hence the name?) you find many of it most important buildings…the Bodleian Library, the Sheldonian Theater, the Radcliffe Camera, Christ Church College, and of course, shopping and pubs. The street dates back to 911 AD. Yes, its that old!

This painting shows three of the most colorful buildings on the street. And before you ask, these are the actual colors of the buildings at the time I photographed it. Since I took the original photo a few years ago, I wonder if the colors might have changed. 

Originally, I did this image as a color sketch. But recently, I updated it to a full painting. I thought the image was just too good to leave as a simple sketch. So I reworked it with some of the latest software and hardware tools. It is so great that advancements in computer graphics  allow me the freedom to continue to experiment in new directions…to stretch my creativity, and to extend the boundaries of imagination.

Now that I am not doing shows, I don’t have to worry about creating images that people may buy. Now, I only care about creating art that satisfies my creative needs…whether other people like it or not is irrelevant…but I do hope you find my work pleasing. Don’t tell anybody I said that.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: