Friday, June 24, 2011

Postcard from Italy–Canale Road

 

I’ve walked this road a few times in my life…sometimes alone, sometimes with a dear friend or two. Canale is a small town in northern Italy in the Piemonte region, famous for its outstanding wines. It lies about an hour south of Turin (Torino), Italy, home of the 2006 Olympic games.

The road and houses you see here lie in the rolling hills above the town where thousands of vines dot the landscape…they are all around, except you can’t see them in this painting.

Some of the most special friends I’ve ever known, have a second home just a little up the road from where the homes in this painting are located. I visited it on every Italian pilgrimage I made. Whenever I see this painting, I harken back to the very special times. If the US Dollar was worth a damn, I would probably be there now.

Regardless, it is a special place for me. When I walked this road into the vineyards, it reminded me of scenes I saw in paintings by some of the great Impressionist painters of the late 1800’s, especially those country scenes done by Camille Pissarro. That is what was in my head when I photographed the original image.

I got to know many of the people that lived in the homes along this road, even though none of them spoke English. How they must have laughed at my feeble attempts to speak Italian. But somehow we communicated and enjoyed each other’s company. Every minute spent in this extraordinary part of Italy is precious to me now…and I hope before my time is done, I can walk this road again. 

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

No comments: