Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Postcard from Tucson

I’ve started a new project (or picked up the pieces of an old one)…photographing some of the architectural wonders of Tucson.  Since I live here, why not.? Easier to photograph here than Paris.tucson_courthouse_arches

My project, for the most part, will focus tightly on some of the smaller details of our architecture, and will mostly be in black and white. This photo, of course, fits neither of those two criteria. But I was out shooting early Sunday morning and I always wanted to shoot this scene without people in it.

So while I captured several good architectural images later in the day, I had to get this one while I had the opportunity. I will explain more about my new project when I show off some of those images.

But, of course, this does qualify as an architectural photo. It is the walkway in front of the old Tucson Courthouse. I’ve shown you a painting I did of the entire courthouse some time back. This walkway is on the other side of the picture. I love the arches here and have always been a fan of arched walkways and their courtyards. This kind of arched walkway is very prominent in several European countries. I have even found some here in America…the last one, besides this one, being inside a student dorm at the University of Chicago.

I found another interesting walkway similar to this one, without the arches, on the University of Arizona campus. As I said, it is similar, but quite a bit different. I will show it to you soon. I promise.

No comments: