Friday, March 18, 2011

Postcard from Chicago

marathon-5

The date was 10/10/10…an unusual date to be sure. It was the day of the Chicago Marathon, a major event not only in Chicago, but in the world of marathon runners. They come from all over the world in many shapes and sizes, some runners, some walkers, and a few who can do neither.

I captured this photo as a so-called handicapped participant in the race came around the corner near mile marker 19. He was actually way ahead of most of the runners. He moved quickly as his arms kept spinning his back wheels, only leaving when he had to negotiate a turn.  It was a herculean effort to stay ahead of the pack and attain his best personal time over the 26 mile course. No matter what his final time, he is a champion and one that inspires awe and admiration for us more fortunate humans who have the use of all our limbs. I wondered that day if I could do this, given his same situation. I tend to doubt it.

But in fairness, I raise my glass in tribute to the thousands who competed that day, but to this fellow especially.

No comments: