Saturday, March 05, 2011

Postcard from Newport

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The Oregon Coast is a wonder of nature and is always there for all to appreciate. I’ve driven it a few times, always with my camera because there is so much to enjoy and capture forever.

This photo of a beach near Newport, Oregon is a simple, yet expansive photo of the drifting sands caught in one moment of time. Go to this spot today, and it is an entirely different sight. When I saw this scene, I was reminded of some images I’ve seen of the sands of Death Valley and White Sands, NM. In these photos, it is all about patterns and texture.

I had no doubts when I photographed this scene it would be rendered in black and white. The sand is brown, but as I have said here before, color can distract the viewer from seeing the true intent of the photographer. By rendering the scene in black and white, you see what I want you to see and the image becomes more emotional. The patterns and textures jump out at you. Add to that, a classic S-Curve, and you have instant depth.

But enough of the photo lessons for now. Just enjoy the view.

No comments: