Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Postcard from Tucson–Book Fest

2011-03-13_09-41-26_960

The annual Tucson Book Festival is probably my favorite event in Tucson. Too bad it only happens once a year. In only its third year, the event is now the 3rd largest event of its type in the nation. This year, over 400 published authors, many extremely well known, came here for the two day celebration of books of all types.

As you can see, there are a plethora of tents all over the mall area where you can purchase books, attend seminars, meet authors, get your books autographed, and visit many other publishing-related vendors. The photo above shows you just some of tents outside…there are many more off to the right. 2011-03-13_15-05-55_321

For me, the best part of the festival are the author talks and workshops that occur in classrooms and tents on the University of Arizona campus. There are hundreds of them, but sadly you can only do five a day as they are held in the same time slots. When the lists come out, I spend a few hours going over them and narrowing down the ones I want to see…then make my final selections. Sadly there are always two or three events held at the same time and I have to make a hard choice. This year, I carried the list on my new Droid X phone, so I knew where to go for each event. Love that phone!

The second photo shows you one seminar I attended called, Scene of the Crime: Place as Character.” The mystery writers there include Martin Cruz Smith, on the far left (Gorky Park, Polar Star, and many more)…and Cara Black, center, author of the Aimee LeDuc mysteries that take place all over Paris. It was held in one of the large tents set up on the mall.

Other events I attended were on such diverse topics as science fiction, constitutional law, astronomy, puzzles, writing, sports and more. I got to meet and speak with folks like the famous sports writer Frank Deford and the writer of many great thrillers, James Rollins. 

Like last year, C-Span 2 was also here showing live book talks on both Saturday and Sunday. I attended two of those and saw the camera pointed at me a couple of times, but have not seen the videos yet. 

In such a short space, it is difficult to explain how much I enjoyed this festival. If you are an avid reader such as me, look for a festival like this somewhere near you.  Or next year, plan to come down to Tucson and see this one.  By the way, the weather was perfect, right around 80 degrees.

No comments: