Thursday, September 09, 2010

Postcard from the Canyonlands

Formations and SkyAfter several long days, I’ve finally finished organizing and editing the photos I took in Canyonlands National Park in Eastern Utah. This magnificent park is divided into three sections, each without access to the other. My photos are all from The Needles section. They are now up on line for your enjoyment.

My visit to the park was nearly two years ago, so I had almost forgotten about some of the excellent photos I took (if I do say so myself). It was fun going through them and seeing them evolve in post production. I did a lot of different things so please visit and comment if you wish.

Canyonlands, The Needles, is a bit out of the way for most people. Far more people visit the section of the park known as “Island in the Sky.” I think that because it is so close to The Arches National Park that people figure they can visit two national parks in one visit. Perhaps. But they have no idea what they are missing by not going to the Needles.

Actually, each can see the other as Island sits up high on a plateau, while the Needles sits down in the canyons. When I was there in early November, I pretty much had the park to myself. It was quite wonderful. I think I saw more park rangers than I did fellow tourists. No matter.

I can’t remember in what part of the park I took this photo. But it playing with it in Photoshop, it really grabbed me as a perfect candidate for a black and white photo. I hope you agree.

No comments: