Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Postcard from Sedona

In looking through some of my thousands of images today, it occurred to me that I’ve only shown one picture from my trip to Sedona in December of last year. My friend Dave and I spent three days there, shooting at sunrise and sunset…and we got some great images. In the middle of the day, we mostly just messed around in Sedona and Cottonwood, waiting sedona-2for the light to get good again.

One morning we were shooting at sunrise on a mountain above the town with temps in the low 20’s…and we did not get one good shot. The next morning was better, but even colder.  What photographers won’t do for that one great photo!

The Sedona area is a photographers dream, red rock mountains in all kinds of wonderful formations, desert landscapes, blue skies and if you are lucky, some great cloud formations. It is especially rewarding in the so-called “Golden Hours”…around sunrise and sunset. Those red rocks get even redder.

This shot was done near sunset. The rocks on the left are part of Sedona’s most famous mountain, Cathedral Rocks. We were some distance away from them, so this picture was taken with a long lens. I remember I had to hold the camera as my tripod broke as I went to set it up for this shot. Thanks God for anti-shake lenses.

I was lucky to get sunlight on the rocks, but dark rain clouds in the sky in the distance. I must say the the larger I make this photo, the better it gets.  So even in this smaller size, I hope you like it.

No comments: