Monday, July 05, 2010

Postcard From Eugene – Fireworks

Happy 5th of July, everyone! Yes, I know the 4th of July holiday was yesterday, but, according to federal mandate, today is also part of that holiday since the 4th was on a Sunday. Don’t believe me? Try going to the bank today or checking your mail box.  Today is an extension of Independence Day.fireworks-2

In keeping with the spirit of this 2-day holiday, I hereby present you with a photo I took in Eugene, Oregon a few years ago. For a couple of years, I did an art show there that always fell around the 4th of July. It was held in a park on the Willamette River, very close to the University of Oregon. After the show closed down on the evening of the 4th, they would hold their annual fireworks display in the same park…and it was a good one too. This one year, I set up my camera on a tripod to record as many fireworks explosions as I could.

I got some good ones. This particular image shows multiple explosions as one must leave the shutter open for some seconds to record these low light images.  It’s one way to get some interesting photos.

This actually is the second fireworks photo from the Eugene show that I‘ve shown in the last two days.  If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, hopefully you got to see the other one. 

Regardless, I hope all of you had a great 4th (and 5th) of July.

No comments: