Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Postcard from Leavenworth

The other day, I opened a box of framed pictures that I once used used in my art shows. Inside, besides pictures, I found a few souvenir tiny seed podsOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA from my days at Leavenworth’s Art-in-the-Park. These little pods were from the trees that grew in the park…beautiful trees (either Ash or Aspen, not sure which).

But when they seeded, oh my God, watch out. It rained pods by the gazillions. They were everywhere and even got behind the glass of some framed pictures. The trees were beautiful, but their seeds were a pain in the rear. And now, a few of these seeds are in Arizona. Good luck with our climate.

Anyway, this is a special photo of one of those trees, obviously at the beginning of Autumn. What made these trees so unusual was that all the leaves would hang straight down. When you photographed shooting straight up at them, it looks like they are all rushing right at you.  It is quite an effect that you really don’t see with your eyes. Another one of my many memories and souvenirs of Leavenworth and the Pacific Northwest.

No comments: