Saturday, March 20, 2010

Postcard from Tucson – The First Wildflowers




One year ago, there were almost no wildflowers to be seen in our part of the Sonoran Desert. This year, it will be just the opposite…because this year we had lots of rain at the right time. The ground was saturated and the weather has warmed up. It’s wildflower time!

Truthfully, it is still a few days early…except for this one place I found yesterday. There is a web site specifically designed for wildflower reports and someone graciously reported a carpet of wildflowers be seen on Picture Rocks Road just on the west side of the pass.

When I read that, I didn’t have a clue where that was. Turns out it is only about 10 miles North from here. So, around 4:00 PM, I gathered up my camera equipment and headed out.

On the way there, I found absolutely no wildflowers blooming even on the eastern side of Picture Rock Road. It is beautiful desert country and I was surprised there was not a wildflower in site. I continued up over the pass, and lo and behold, found myself in the northwest corner of Saguaro National Park West. As I came around a bend in the road, there they were…beautiful carpets of golden poppies amidst the desert flora. Also mixed in were a few purple flowers that I cannot identify…but mostly it was poppies.

They covered the hillside and the flat ground below it. It was a magnificent site for the eyes, and here are the first photos. After snapping my shutter numerous times, I continued west on the road and found no additional wildflowers. This small area was the only place where they could be found…and in such abundance. It was strange, but, as I said, it is early days yet.

After my friend Dave finishes up his art show, we will be heading out on a photo expedition looking for more wildflowers But, for now, enjoy these first fruits of my labors.

No comments: