Monday, March 01, 2010

Postcard from the Grand Canyon – First Painting


While wandering through the gift store at the Grand Canyon, I came across several book collections of paintings of the Grand Canyon by many artists. They covered a long period of time and thus several different artistic styles.

I knew when I paged through the books, I would make an attempt at a painting from one of my many photographs. So, here is my very first attempt.

I chose to use an impressionistic approach, making sure that the canyon itself stood out from the rest of the objects in the painting. I have let it sit for a few days, as I usually do, just to see if I really like it…and actually I still do. I am throwing it out here on the wall (so to speak) and see if it sticks.

This image is from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and is one of the many side canyons in the Park. It is near Bright Angel Point and is actually the first part of the canyon you see when approaching the North Rim. Sorry it is so small, but that is all the space I am allowed. If you double click on it you will a larger version.

No comments: