Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Postcard from Ellensburg – Autumn Surprise


Yes, I know…we are approaching Spring now and no one welcomes it more than myself. However, I came across some Autumn photos that I took a few years ago and couldn’t resist the challenge posed by this image.

It is of a country road just south of Ellensburg, WA, a place I always made a point of visiting in Autumn when I lived in the Northwest. Long time readers may remember a photo I took of this same road a few years prior to this one…when the road was covered with leaves. It was used on a music CD album cover.

There was a delicious ground fog this day, and I wanted to create an image of gloom, even though the fog was beginning to lift about the time I took this photo. You can see a bit of the fog in the background. To create a “gloom and doom” feeling, I had to take some outrageous liberties in Photoshop…but, I was in a playful mood anyway.

Although it has the qualities of a painting in some respects, I still consider it a photo. I did take a single pass with a Dry Brush Filter that comes with Photoshop, but most of this image was enhanced with photographic filters…taken a little to the extreme perhaps…but I hope you will forgive me for having a little creative fun.

No comments: