Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Postcard from Tucson - Baseball



Spent yesterday out at Tucson Electric Field with my friend and fellow photographer Dave Forester from Wenatchee, WA. We lucked out with excellent seats, three rows from the field, right behind the first base dugout, so we both took our good cameras.

It was a beautiful day, about 75 degrees, with the sun mostly at our backs. The game was between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Cincinnati Reds. Of course, being a spring training game, it doesn’t count for much of anything except allowing regular players to tune up for the upcoming season, and letting new players show their stuff.

Now, I don’t follow major league baseball anymore, except for an occasional glance at the standings. But, being Arizona and Colorado both train in my adopted home town, I just have to go watch some games. I still love the game of baseball.

And, of course, this is the last year that these two teams will train here. Spring Training has been an integral part of Tucson life since 1947…but it all ends this year. Next year, all the teams training in Arizona will be located in and around Phoenix. I am a little sad about that.

Ironically, the first major league team to train here in ‘47 was the Cleveland Indians, who we will see today vs. Colorado.

But yesterday’s game was great fun, with the Reds winning 13-7. Both Dave and I had our own fun playing sports photographers. And I think we were both pleased our results.

The first picture shows an Arizona player being hit in the back by a pitched ball. I know these blog images are a bit small, but if you look closely, or double-click on the photo, you can see I captured the ball as it bounced off the player’s body. The second photo shows an unsuccessful pick-off play at first base. The secret of photographing baseball is to shoot lots of photos and maybe you will get lucky with a couple of good ones.

It was a great day at the ball park, perfect weather and some enjoyable photography. I will miss baseball when it leaves here.

By the way, Dave is down here for the Spring 4th Ave. Festival and Art Show. He has a booth and is showing some of his incredible nature photographs. If you are in the area, look him up. As for me, while I will miss the Spring Training games coming to Tucson, I don’t miss doing art shows on the road anymore like Dave is doing. I am happily retired.

No comments: