Monday, August 24, 2009

Postcard from Tucson – A Rediscovered Painting


I put down my digital paint brush about 20 months ago. That was when my now ex-wife (and still good friend) announced out of the blue, she no longer wished to be married. My life changed dramatically that day, and after a short time of mourning, I started making plans for a new life. Somewhere in all time of sadness and change, my painting got left behind.

Fast forward to present day:

I have a good life now and have taken steps to begin painting again. Being happy and free has helped and I certainly have enough subjects gathered from all my adventures. But this last weekend, I set aside some time to go through my computer and remove unused files and programs.

While going through a section of the hard drive where I kept my “works in progress”, I found two paintings…one 98% done and the other about 90% done. It was a surprise, and after looking at them, I realized I liked them both very much.

I couldn’t resist so I finished the first one, let it sit overnight to see if I still liked it in the morning. I do. So I present it to you for your inspection. I am working on the second one now and will show it to you when it’s done.

I was pleased to find them both, and even more pleased that I still liked them. But most pleasing of all was to pick up the brush again to create something beautiful.

As time has passed, so have my tastes for my own work, past, present and future. During the computer cleaning process, I threw out many works in progress as I no longer found them acceptable. Perhaps I never did like them, but they were still on my hard drive. We all change with time and events.

No comments: