Monday, August 10, 2009

Postcard from Mt. Rainier – Paradise


I was browsing through some of my never-before-seen images in the Mt. Rainier National Park and came across the very colorful photo. It was taken on one of the trails in the aptly-named Paradise Valley section of the park. Mt. Rainier would be off to the left.

For a guy who lived in the state of Washington for 16 years, I only visited this natural wonderland only once on a two day photo safari just a few years ago. Hard to believe, but true. I hope someday I can come back here. And you know something else…I never once visited Mt. St. Helens.

Now, as you well know, I live in a different kind of place, the unique Sonoran Desert, a very beautiful place in its own right. But, I miss the beauty of the high mountains of the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada’s of California.

There are some wonderful hikes and natural scenic wonders in Mt. Rainier National Park. Early summer is a good time to go as the wildflowers can be just extraordinary. Spring comes very late at these high elevations.

I am in the beginning stages of planning another expedition into uncharted territories (translation – going to see some places I have not been to before) in another month. I will keep you informed as plans unfold.

No comments: