Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Postcard from the Painted Desert – Colors Abound


There are actually two painted deserts, perhaps even three in Arizona. I just finished post-processing photos from the two I visited last Autumn and have posted them up on my Web site. I believe I have showed you a previous image from here some time ago.

Anyway, the first painted desert is called the Little Painted Desert and is in a small state park, about 13 miles north of Winslow, AZ. I visited there at sunset, which accounts for the colors of those photos.

The second painted desert lies about 60 miles east of Winslow on Interstate 40 and is part of the Petrified Forest National Park. I visited this park the next day after spending one very cold night camped out near Winslow. This photo is from that Painted Desert.

Both of these parks remind me so much of the Painted Hills of Oregon. Different environs, of course…the Painted Hills being in forested country. I am just happy that I got to see them all.

As for the third painted desert, it lies somewhere on Highway 89, just north of the Grand Canyon turnoff. I will be passing through there in September, so will tell you more about it later.

No comments: