Friday, August 28, 2009

Postcard from the Road – Gifts


Sometimes when I see such beautiful and amazing sites such as the Double Arch in The Arches National Park, I sit and pause…then reflect on so many breathtaking sites like this that are available to me on this planet and how lucky I am to see them. I sort of pinch myself mentally to make sure I am really there, no matter where it happens to be. Sites like this are the result of millions of years of evolution and I get to see it at this one moment in time.

But just as important, I thank the maker of us all for his gift to me for the ability to see this place with an artist’s eye and the skills to photograph it. More than that, he gave me the gift of easily learning ways to make the most of the image, first in the darkroom, and now with a computer. I am a fortunate fellow, to say the least.

But, while the gift to produce a beautiful image was given, it still took years and years of practice and work to bring me where I am now. The gift was the easy part, the rest is blood sweat, and tears…all happily given.

I once met a well known painter in England at an exhibition of his works in Harrods. I told him that he was such a gifted painter and he reminded me while that was true, it took years and years of education, practice, and hard work to make it all come together. We must all remember that no gift comes without strings.

No comments: