Friday, February 27, 2009

Picture of the Day – Skull Arch


Actually, I don’t think this pair of arches is called Skull Arch. It has another official name, but can’t remember what it is. There are around 2,200 arches inside Arches National Park, and you just can’t expect me to remember them all.

I just call it Skull Arch because that is what it looks like to me. You have to work to get to this arch. It is located deep inside the so-called Fiery Furnace section of the park…a series of canyons, many of which dead end. One needs a guide the first time you go through it…which is what I did on a walk with Ranger Dave. I will write a separate blog about this hike in the near future as it was most interesting for many reasons.

But, I came across this photo and had to share it right away. It was very dark inside the canyon where I took this, so the ISO was boosted and there was a little push done inside Lightroom and Photoshop to get the real colors to show. It sort of looks like I used a flash, but I didn’t.

No comments: