Friday, September 26, 2008

Picture of the Day - Fern Creek

I came across this little scene while hiking in Glacier National Park. I love finding these tiny places hidden away among nature's grandeur. I've mentioned it before here, but I call this technique "looking down." Instead of just looking straight ahead, look down and see what might be around you.

This little spot was under a heavy canopy of trees and I didn't have a tripod to steady the camera (although I was using an anti-shake lens). So I used a flash-fill with a diffuser to help light the scene.

In post processing, I decided to play around with a new set of digital filters I bought from Tiffen. These filters match the glass filters that were used on 35mm film cameras, only they are digital. I started playing and found this one filter that I thought enhanced the original colors a bit without going too far out. The greens are a little more intense and more red was brought out in the dirt. Call me crazy, but I like this picture a lot.

Sometimes, you just want to step out of your box a bit.

No comments: