Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Picture of the Day - A Stellar Jay

I photographed this little fellow in Yosemite in the Spring of 2006. I wasn't real close, but I used my telephoto lens to capture him. These birds actually come pretty close to you, especially if you are eating or having a picnic.

They love to be fed and once you start feeding one, a few more will show up. I remember once many years ago in Yosemite, a girlfriend and I were having a picnic lunch which included potato chips. These guys loved chips. In a wild a crazy moment, I dipped a chip in a horseradish dip and gave it to one of the birds. He flew off happily with his new treasure.

A few minutes later, while we were talking about how the bird would handle horseradish, the little fellow flew back over me and dropped the chip right on me, just missing my head. I guess he didn't like it and he let me know. I never did that again.

No comments: