Monday, September 15, 2008

Picture of the Day - Welcome

Every-once-in-a-while, when you are on the road, you stop someplace to see what's going on. And, if you like to take photos, you always bring your camera. And that is what I did here.

I was driving from Lake Havasu, AZ back to Yuma. About 95 miles north of Yuma, is the little town of Quartzite, which I have written about here before. It is in the middle of the desert on at the crossroads Interstate 10 (the main road from LA to Phoenix) and Arizona Highway 95. It's a town of 7,000 people that attracts 1.5 million people a year...mainly snowbirds in RV's. The fun thing is that there is always something going on here.

On this day, a Thursday, if memory serves, there was a large RV show which also had hundreds of 10x10 tents (and as many small vendors pandering to the needs of snowbirds) like we use at our art shows. I decided to wander around to see if there were any photo opportunities (and to find some new sunglasses, which I did). This picture was about the only usable photo I took on this day. But, I think it is a good one.

Here were all these handmade "welcome" signs, lined up perfectly, that just might go well in some snowbird's front yard. And, believe me, I saw hundreds of such objects 'd art in RV parks all over the Southwest. I think one of these signs would go well with all the plastic flowers that flourish in these desert oasis' (is my cynicism showing?).

It's a whole other culture out there that one has to see to believe....gazillions of RV's parked everywhere. For 6 months, they rule they Southwest.

But, no matter what, I like this picture.

No comments: