Monday, May 02, 2005

How to be Your Own Publisher

First of all, I am back from my first art show of the year, and today, Monday, my exhaustion knows no bounds. It takes a lot of energy and hard work to not only do the show, but to do your own setup on Friday and takedown on Sunday. Needless to say I am out of shape.

The show went pretty much as expected. It was a slow weekend in Leavenworth as the tourist season hasn't really started yet. Traffic was low, but I did sell some of my works, including prints of some of the new ones.

As I said in my last blog, this show was a good tuneup for when the real season starts. I learned a lot about my setup and will make some changes for next week. The best part was seeing many of my artist friends after a six month layoff. I think we were all glad to see each other and be out in the sunshine again.

Now, about being your publisher.

Perhaps some of you are writers and have tried to submit your works to regular publishing houses. Like most writers, you probably have a pile of rejection slips. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Perhaps you should consider being your own publisher. In the old days, this was called the "Vanity Press" and was expensive. It was also difficult for authors to get their self-published books into stores and many writers wound up with cases of their unsold books gathering dust in their attic or garage.

Today, self publishing is becoming more respectable, profitable, and less expensive than in previous years. And with the rise of the Internet, these self-publishing print houses are offering better ways to market these kind of books. Vanity press houses can make your books available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other on-line bookstores.

It is amazing how this world of self publishing has changed. The New York Times recently published a great article on today's self-publishing market. If you are a writer and want to be published, I suggest you read it right away.

No comments: