Wednesday, May 11, 2005

More on Doug Miller

In my last post, I mentioned my artist friend Doug Miller in conjunction with the forthcoming book, "Northwest Artists." I decided to tell you more about Doug and his work as he is an internationally known artist and deserving of your attention.

Doug has been a full time artist for the last 28 years. His work is known worldwide and many of his originals go for several thousand dollars. He has received many awards for his work, some of which are listed on his website. Doug's media is oil painting and while I don't like to classify anyone else's work, I guess you would have to call many of his paintings "Photo Realism". Many of his works are very detailed and take up to 30 days to complete. Lately, he has also been using a more Impressionist style in some of his new paintings, with beautiful results.

Most of Doug's subjects are what he likes to call, "Paintings of the American Outback." He uses mountains, deserts and most every other kind of natural landscape you can think of as his subject matter. Each of his paintings is a genuine work of love that is obvious when you look at them. No one could paint is such vived detail without loving what he was doing.

I have known Doug for many years as we lived in the same town. We would play tennis together on several occasions. It was he who started me down my current path with good, constructive criticism on some of my early works. He taught me about the importance of light and color. And he was there with helpful advise when I decided to become a full time artist and join the art show circuit.

Doug and his wife Barb now live in Wenatchee, WA as Barb got a full time job with the Wenatchee schools. In the last month, Doug took a major step and opened his own gallery in Leavenworth, WA, about 18 miles west of Wenatchee. For those who are not familiar with Leavenworth, it is designed as a Bavarian village and sits among the tall mountain peaks of the eastern Cascade Mountains.

Besides being a popular tourist destination, it is a mecca for art of all kinds including music, paintings, photographs, pottery and other art forms. Doug and I have spent many weekends there at their Art-in-the-Park festival. His new gallery is quite lovely and well laid out. There, one can buy originals and beautiful Giclee prints of his work done on canvas and paper. I expect he will do well there. I hope you get a chance to visit him and see his amazing work.

If you can't make it to his gallery, you can visit his website to see and buy many of his works online. To visit, go to:

http://www.dougmillerart.com

No comments: