Thursday, May 05, 2005

A New, Fiery Painting

Once again, I am off today for another art show...once again in Leavenworth. It's Apple Blossom Festival in the Northwest, although the activity is centered in eastern Chelan County.
Last year, I set up my tent in Wenatchee in the main festival grounds. It was crowded, but very few were interested in art.

Meanwhile, 20 miles up Highway 2 in Leavenworth, the artists at Art-in-the-Park did much better as the more affluent festival goers made their way up Highway 2 to Leavenworth. It was an easy decision for me to chose Leavenworth this year rather than Wenatchee.

Another new work I will be showing in festivals this year is a work I call "The Lost Road, Part 2." I like this one very much as I used a new brush stroke technique that really brought out the life of the autumn colors in the roadside bushes. It almost has a fire-like quality as the red and orange leaves look like they are burning. Much of this is attributable to the new technique, which is not really all that visible in the web site image, unfortunately.

I call it the The Lost Road - Part 2 because I already have a painting called Part 1. The lost road comes from the fact that there are several small dirt roads in and around the Tumwater Canyon, just west of Leavenworth. Many of them are abandoned and overgrown, although the road in Part 2 is not. And yes...there will probably be a part 3 and part 4 in the future.

The Autumn of 2004 was very spectacular in some places, including the Tumwater Canyon area, all the way up to Lake Wenatchee. Autumn colors are very conducive to my own love of colors that is so evident in my art.

Just so you know, I have no wireless Internet connection in Leavenworth, so there will be no blog entry for the next few days. To view the new work, go to:

http://www.corkrum.com/jim/lost_road_part_2.htm

2 comments:

Juno said...

Gorgeous stuff. I tend to love the autumn myself, so I especially like this piece.

Good luck with your shows!

PacificNorthwestPaintings said...

Wodnerful work! You've exquisitely captured the beauty of the area! Brilliant.
Colleen