Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Getting Ready for California

Sorry I have been truant about writing my art blog. Frankly, I have been so immersed in producing fine art that I haven't had time to write about it. I cancelled my appearance this last weekend in Leavenworth to get into what I call "Production" mode...that is producing enough work to get me through two large shows in California.

When I leave for the Golden State, I leave my printers behind me so I have to make sure I have enough canvas and paper prints of my work to get me through these shows. The problem is, of course, that I don't know what will be my big sellers, especially in my new works. I have a fair idea about the works I carried with me last year, but the new ones are still an unknown quantity.

Doing new shows (at least new for me) is always a fun, but apprehensive experience. You don't know what to expect; ie where your booth is going to be located, how much wall space I have (inside and outside wall space vs inside only if the tents are placed exactly side-by-side), weather, wind, weird rules and regulations, etc. It always works out, of course, but it is still a nervous time.

I am looking forward to meeting new artists and seeing old California friends and relatives. I will be staying with my "soul sister" Paula Miller and her husband Hardy in Walnut Creek, then move over to Oakland to stay with my brother Dave. And I will have five days between shows to relax and perhaps enjoy some time away from art. Maybe I will hop on a BART train and spend a day or two in San Francisco.

After the Novato show, I will head back on a long Monday drive to Ephrata to get ready for another show in Leavenworth. If I do really well in California, I may have to take that weekend off to produce more works for my next series of shows. July is going to be a very busy month for me.

However, I am getting ahead of myself a little bit. I still have this upcoming Memorial Day four day weekend in Leavenworth which was very good for me last year. And the weather looks like it is going to be in the 80's for all four days. So, if you are spending the holiday in Leavenworth area, please stop by and say hello.

No comments: