Monday, June 30, 2014

Postcard from Washington DC

I remember this day oh so very well! Some of my tale took place before this photo and a great deal more after. First the photo: I like this picture as the two young ladies gave Mr. Lincoln some scale and some badly needed color in the photo. They were posing for their mother so I took the opportunity to photograph them also.

But about this day…it started in Maryland where I was staying. I hopped on a DC Metro Train and eventually exited near the Lincoln Memorial, but on the other side of the Potomac River  in Virginia. I decided to walk up to the Kennedy Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery. It didn’t look all that far.

Well, trust me, it was. By the time I got to the Kennedy’s, I was already a bit worn out, but happy to see it and remember. And I was touched by the size and scope of the cemetery and all the fine men and women who served our country that are buried there.

But, I had to retrace my steps. Of course, I hoofed it…all the way down to the Potomac and across to the Lincoln Memorial. I noodled around for a while, took photos and generally tried to appreciate where I was. I then sat down on a bench to catch my breath and restore my strength…or so I hoped.

Truthfully, there was more to it than that. I sat for over 30 minutes, trying to get up enough courage to walk through the Vietnam Memorial. A few old friends have their names on that wall. Some years prior, I walked through the California Memorial and it affected me deeply. I really didn’t know if I could do it again. Eventually I did and made it through, but not unscathed. That was a terrible time in our history and a lot of fine young men died for nothing.

And while the long rest did improve my strength, I decided discretion was the better part of valor and hopped on a tour bus for while. I eventually got out at the Capitol Building as I had not yet visited it. After a little time, I walked (if you can believe it) down to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Now that was a real highlight for that day.

While I loved looking around, I found there is a planetarium there that puts on regular astronomy shows on a domed ceiling. It has those wonderful chairs that lean back to afford a view of the dome during the show. God knows, I love those shows.

As I went to purchase my ticket, I was informed by the ticket agent that I was a senior citizen and could get in at a lower rate. I stood there agog…it was the very first time I was recognized as a senior citizen (but certainly not the last). It is a difficult thing to be told, then accept that one is now a senior. But, being a practical person, I took the discounted price and entered the planetarium.

I was really looking forward to seeing this show. Sadly, I never saw any of it. As soon as my butt hit that comfortable, leaned-back chair, I was gone…out like a light. I had done way too much that day and could not stay awake. I guess it was good that I got a discount because I ran out of energy, just like a senior citizen. It was hard to deal with that whole concept. But, it is what it is. Damn…I really wanted to see that show.

From there, I found the nearest Metro station and headed back to the house in Maryland where I was staying. It was, all-in-all, a good day and I accomplished a great deal. But one never forgets the day when you find out you are no longer young.  

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: