Monday, June 02, 2014

Postcard from Mesa

Sometimes if you look either straight up or straight down with your camera, you can find some interesting subjects for a photo. So it is with this image. I shot this on the campus of Arizona State Polytechnic University in Mesa, Arizona. In this case, I looked straight up while inside a very unique building on campus.

I call this photo “Jumble” as it contains a hodgepodge of interesting architectural elements jumbled together to form a cohesive whole. You’ve got horizontal and vertical elements, not to mention lines running in all directions. But, to me, what makes the image all come together is the circular fan. Everything else is straight lines and rectangles. But by having something completely circular, everything just works. I am sure the architects of the building knew that also.

This building is Peralta Hall, designed by Lake/Flato Architects. The building is very open and makes excellent use of natural light. It is integrated with three existing building and creates a cohesive complex (To see these unique buildings in their entirety, check out this website) I took this photo while standing in an open air hallway. The classrooms are off to my right and left and above me on 3 different levels.

Many of my architectural photos are done in black and white and that was my original plan for this image. But, after a long hard look, I realized in this case, color adds to the visual quality of the photo. The more I look at this photo the more I like it. I hope you do also.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: