Monday, June 16, 2014

Postcard from Venice

“Streets flooded. Please advise.”
― Robert Benchley

Of all the words written about Venice, the above 4 words may be my favorite. Robert Charles Benchley was an American humorist in the 1930’s and 40’s…best known for his contributions to The New Yorker magazine and Vanity Fair, to name just two. He also worked as a freelance writer and in Hollywood. There, he not only wrote for motion pictures but appeared in them…my favorite being a humorous short film entitled, “How to Sleep,” for which he won the Academy Award.

The above quote comes from a telegram he sent to his editor at the New Yorker. He had been sent to Venice on assignment and it was his first trip. Of course his telegram was just part of his unique sense of humor. Here are a few other quotes from this legendary humorist:

“Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.”

“Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at the moment. ”

“As for me, except for an occasional heart attack, I feel as young as I ever did.”  

“The only cure for a real hangover is death.”

“There are two kinds of travel: first class and with children.”

PS: The above painting of a backwater canal in Venice was one of my best sellers when I was doing art shows.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: