Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Postcard from Tucson

If you followed this blog for any length of time (this is blog #704, if you can believe that), you may have figured out I have a passion for sketches. While I have no talent to do them by hand, I love to experiment by creating digital sketches from my own original photographs. It is amazing all the artistic tech tools that have evolved since the early days of digital photography. 

I made my entrance into the commercial art world by creating digital paintings and sketches and did very well. Today there are far more tools available to the digital photographer to create these paintings and sketches than there were several years ago when I was on the art trail.

This weekend, I made a visit to the University of Arizona Art Museum to see a special collection of sketches and engravings from some of the greatest artists the western world has ever known. I saw artworks by Goya, Whistler, Guercino, Durer, Manet, and Rembrandt, to name a few.

What I learned is that for so long, sketches were considered of no importance. Often sketches were used as conceptual drawings for future paintings. So they had no artistic or monetary value. Then came the age of Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Albrecht Durer. Suddenly, the world began to realize that many sketches were indeed great art. 

Later, other great artists like Peter Paul Rubens, Rembrandt, Jacques Louis David, and other famous painters such as: Honore Daumier, Edgar Degas, Egon Schiele, Max Beckmann, David Hockney, and Lucian Freud, exemplified the art of sketching. The word draughtsman (or draftsman) is the usual term for an artist who practices drawing.

Of course, I don’t consider myself a master of sketching, but I am a good photographer and I love to experiment to make my photos works of art different than most photos. An example is the digital sketch shown above.

It is of the pool area at my apartment complex. Nothing special in terms of subject matter. It is the digital technique of sketching that I used here that makes all the difference. It is a fun sketch for sure, but I like what I created. I am curious if you do also. I will keep sketching my photos and occasionally share them here.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: